Before Intravenous sedation anesthesia
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please carefully follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with intravenous sedation. Doing so will greatly help in making your visit to our office as comfortable and as easy for you as possible.
- Do NOT eat or drink ANYTHING for at least eight hours prior to your appointment. (However, you may have small amounts of water prior to your appointment, up to 2 hours before your surgery.) Prescribed medications you are taking for other conditions may be taken with a small sip of water at the time you are accustomed to, unless you are instructed otherwise.
- You must be accompanied by a responsible adult who can remain in the office during your surgery, drive you home following the procedure, and stay with you for the remainder of the day. A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors. (The patient must not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following intravenous anesthesia.)
- Use of illegal substances 24 hours prior to your surgery will result in cancellation of your treatment.
- You should not smoke for at least 12 hours before surgery. Even better, reducing your smoking several days before this, or ideally quitting smoking altogether in the time leading up to the surgical appointment, would significantly enhance your surgical outcome, including minimizing post-operative complications. Taking this opportunity to quit smoking would also reduce your lifetime risk of developing smoking-related diseases/conditions while greatly improving your overall health.
- Please wear comfortable, loose-fitting, short-sleeved clothing, or sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow. Please wear low-heeled shoes.
- Please do not wear contact lenses, lipstick, excessive makeup, nail polish or jewellery on the day of surgery.
- If you wear dentures, we will need to remove them prior to surgery, but will place them safely aside for you.
- If you develop a cough, cold, sore throat, upset stomach, upset bowels, or acquire any other illness prior to your surgery date, please notify the office at (250) 614-1828.
- 24 hours prior to your surgery: 1) rinse twice daily with Listerine® 2) take 3, 200mg Ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®) tablets every 6 hours 3) DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN® OR TYLENOL®.
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time in order to complete the required paperwork.
- EMLA® patches may be purchased at your local pharmacy to ease discomfort during needle insertion for the intravenous sedation. The patch should be placed on the inside of the elbow, usually on the left arm.
- Failure to comply with any of these instructions could result in a delay of your surgery and a corresponding cancellation fee may apply.